As an IIScian It is happy moment for me on 26th January, 2014, 65th republic day of India. Four of our IISc professors/students received India’s highest civilian awards.
- Prof. C. N. R. Rao, former director of IISc, awarded India’s highest civilian award ‘Bharat Ratna’
- Prof. P. Balaram, current director of IISc, awarded India’s third highest civilian award ‘Padma Bhushan’
- Prof. E. D. Jemmis, professor in IPC department IISc, awarded India’s fourth highest civilian award ‘Padma Shree’
- Shri Kiran Kumar Alur Seelin, 1975 M.Tech. Student of Physical Engineering, IISc, awarded ‘Padma Shree’
Apart from these one more thing attracts attention is importance being given to science and technology in awarding. Let me write one by one
Total 2 Padma Vibhushan awarded included one to scientist. Science contribution is 50% to total awarding.
- Dr. Raghunath A. Mashelkar, former director of CSIR.
Total 24 Padma Bhushan awarded which included 7 to science and engineering contributing 29.2% share.
- Prof. Padmanabhan Balaram
- Prof. Jyeshtharaj Joshi,
- Dr. Madappa Mahadevappa
- Dr. Thirumalachari Ramasami
- Dr. Vinod Prakash Sharma
- Dr. Radhakrishnan Koppillil
- Late Dr. Anumolu Ramakrishna
Total 101 Padma Shree awarded which included 14 to science and engineering contributing 13.86% share.
- Shri Sekhar Basu
- Shri Madhavan Chandradathan
- Prof. Sushanta Kumar Dattagupta
- Dr. Ravi Bhushan Grover
- Prof. Eluvathingal Devassy Jemmis
- Shri Ramkrishna V. Hosur
- Dr. Ajay Kumar Parida
- Dr. Malapaka Yajneswara Satyanarayana Prasad
- Shri Kiran Kumar Alur Seelin
- Dr. Brahma Singh
- Prof. Vinod Kumar Singh
- Dr. Govindan Sundararajan
- Ramaswamy R. Iyer
- Dr. Jayanta Kumar Ghosh
GUJARAT IN AWARDS
Following people have Gujarat connection in awards.
- Prof. Gulam Mahamad Shaikh, Padma Bhushan in ‘Art-Painting’
- Dr. Dhirubhai Thakar, Padma Bhushan in ‘Literature and Education’
- Ruskin Bond, Padma Bhushan in ‘Literature and Education’. (He spent his early childhood in Jamnagar)
- Shri Mathurbhai Madhabhai Savani, Padma Shree in ‘Social work’
- Dr. Hasmukh Chamanlal Shah, Padma Shree in ‘Public Affairs’
- Dr. Kiritkumar Mansukhlal Acharya, Padma Shree in ‘Medicine-Dermatology’
- Prof. Ganesh Narayandas Devi, Padma Shree in ‘Literature and Education’
- Shri Kiran Kumar Alur Seelin, Padma Shree in ‘Science and Engineering’
- Paresh Raval, Padma Shree in ‘Art – Cinema and Theatre’